Darling Harbour Marks One Year of Stellar Progress
Posted: January 14, 2015
Construction work on Darling Harbour’s new world-class business events venue is picking up pace, with more than 32,000 cubic metres of concrete poured and over one million labour hours contributed on-site. NSW Acting Premier Troy Grant said it had been over a year since work began on Darling Harbour’s biggest transformation in 25 years. “In just less than two years, Sydney will have a brand new premium convention, exhibition and entertainment venue – the International Convention Centre Sydney (ICC Sydney),” Mr Grant said. “The progress made at the construction site over the past 12 months has been extraordinary, with the 2,700 workers inducted on site helping us deliver this major project on schedule. “During demolition, more than 16,000 tonnes of steel and over 110,000 tonnes – or about 300,000 wheelbarrows full – of concrete were removed from the site. “Piling for the new buildings is now complete with over 1,500 piles created, and concrete structural works are well underway with seven tower cranes in operation, the largest of which can lift 20 tonnes at 90 metres.” Mr Grant said the major infrastructure project was re-energising Sydney and its place on the world stage. “When ICC Sydney opens in December 2016, it will employ more than 300 people full-time and continue attracting world-class events to Australia’s global city, with a brand new theatre complex, exhibition halls and convention centre.” Across the 20-hectare transformation of the Darling Harbour precinct, there will also be a landmark luxury hotel, reinvigorated and new public spaces, new pedestrian connections and a cosmopolitan city neighbourhood, Darling Square. The NSW Government is partnering with the private sector consortium Darling Harbour Live, which comprises Lend Lease, Capella Capital, Hostplus, AEG Ogden and Spotless, to deliver ICC Sydney.
For more information on the ICC Sydney project, visit: www.insw.com
Media: Blake Hardy 0413 378 770